If you have a warehouse that looks like Aladdin’s Cave of Wonders, it’s time have a system. A warehouse is not a treasure trove that you have to check everything to find what you want. It should be as organised as possible.
By employing these best practices and working with a storage solutions supplier, Containit Solutions says that you can improve both your storage operations and business efficiency.
- An efficient way to organise your warehouse is to store similar products in one place rather than by brand. This way, even if you forget what brand and model it is, you will head to the right direction as long as you know what it is.
- Raw materials stored in boxes can be stacked vertically. This will save you great space. Furniture, on the other hand, cannot be stacked on one another. Unless, of course, if the furniture has yet to be assembled.
- Keeping the aisles clear and free of debris and other obstructions will help you in getting products in and out of storage. Make sure you implement the best practices for cleanliness and orderliness among your teams.
- Label your products properly. If possible, you can include a photo of the products along with important information. This way, even if you have five different kinds of Christmas stockings in storage, you don’t need to guess or open each of the boxes to see which type you’re looking for.
- Create a first-in, first-out system. This is especially important if you are dealing with raw materials that have expiration dates, such as food and chemicals. While it is important to label when the products first came it, pushing the latest additions way back into the shelves will let automatically lead you to use the ones who are easily accessible.
Maintaining a warehouse is part of your business operations. Don't ever skimp on this if you want your business to grow.