Scroll to Top
Industry Leaders

Choosing the Right Trainer and Assessor Course

Trainer They say teachers are born, not made. Whether this is true or not does not matter in Brisbane if you want a teaching job. To qualify for one at an accredited institution, you need to go through the right trainer and assessor course. The level you need depends on who, and what, you want to teach.

The Hierarchy

The Australian government keeps a close eye on the people who are teaching and training other people. They use the Australian Qualifications Framework or AQF as the basis for what level of training you need. These generally fall into three categories: certificates, diplomas, and degrees.

The Investment

Certificates usually take about six months to two years to get, depending on the level you want. Certificate I and II courses give you basic skills and knowledge, while Certificate III and IV courses provide advanced training. Diploma courses usually take about two to three years, and have a broader scope than certificate courses. A degree course takes about four years, and usually required for professional work.

The Need

It follows that the longer you train, the more qualified you are in a certain field. However, there is such a thing as being overqualified. If your purpose is to teach vocational courses, a certificate IV trainer and assessor course is all you need, says, provided you already have the relevant practical skills and knowledge.

For example, if you are a mechanic and you want to teach an automotive course, it certainly helps if you have a degree in engineering. However, it does not make sense to get a degree in engineering just to teach an automotive course, and not actually work as an engineer. For one thing, it will take you much longer. More importantly, it will cost much more.

You do not need a bazooka to swat a fly. The right certificate is as good as a degree if you just want to teach a vocational course.

Like it? Share it!